For those women who seriously consider to take on a more committed path to become bhikkhunis, they should allow themselves to get acquainted with both the ideas and lifestyle.
They may begin as follows:
- Visit the temple on a weekly basis.
- Be part of the community by becoming a live-in member.
- Receive 8 precepts and wear white.
- Attend 3-month training in preparation for lower ordination.
- Getting ready for lower ordination.
- Have sufficient financial support.
- Getting ready for the sangha kamma required.
- 2-year training as a samaneri.
- Must be at least 18 for first training, having good health.
- No education requirement, but one must have willingness to learn.
- No physical handicap.
- Fully understand the purpose of ordination.
Once ordained as bhikkhuni she must reside with the community of bhikkhuni for a minimum 5 years. This is a ‘bhikkhuni in Residence’ Project which will continue for 5 vassas. Senior Sri Lankan bhikkhunis will be invited to stay at the temple for this project.