Latest on the bhikkhunis and Samaneris in Thailand.
Recorded June 7,2007
By the end of July, there will be 6 Thai bhikkhunis ordained in Theravada tradition.
- Bhikkhuni Dhammananda who spear-headed the movement is based at Songdhammakalyani Monastery, Nakhonpathom, Thailand.
- Bhikkhuni Ratnavali in Bangkok.
- Bhikkhuni Silananda is now studying at a Buddhist College in Songkhla, in the southern part of Thailand.
- Bhikkhuni Dhammamitta resides in Yasodhon, in the northern part of Thailand.
- Bhikkhuni Sukhetta is now studying towards her M.A. in Sri Lanka.
- Bhikkhuni Dhammadhira is staying with Ven.Dhammananda.
There are approximately 14 samaneris in Theravada tradition:
- There are 9 of them at Nirodharama in Chiengmai, headed by Ven.Rungduen.
- Dhammavanna resides at Songdhammakalyani monastery.
- Dhammavijjani will be returning from Sri lanka and will take a residence in Chiengmai.
- Dhammadhari is in Kanchanaburi.
- Poonsirivara is in Samudsakhon Province.
There may be few others who are off our record simply because we do not know them. If you have more info. We will appreciate adding them to our list.
However, there are more Thai women who were ordained in Mahayana tradition. The best known is Ven.Bhikshuni Ambika from Fo Guang Shan.
She is based in Bangkok. According to her there are at least 200 bhikshunis but mostly scattered in various vegetarian houses and Chinese shrines through out the country. Their services are limited among the Chinese sector of the population.