Project : Buddhist Women in Residence
Time : Aug.-Oct.2004
Background: In this past decade more and more women have entered monastic life from various traditions, e.g. Chinese, Tibetan, Theravada, etc. In some traditions ordination of women is still new and often training before and after an ordination is not fully organized. In this case, even newly ordained bhikkhunis/ samaneris who have made a full commitment, but have not been
Properly trained, could have difficulty continuing as an effective sangha. This training endeavors to offer intensive studies and practice in the following areas:
Vinaya Studies, Patimokkha chanting and training, monastic etiquettes, etc.
From a larger perspectives, a bhikkhuni will also receive Buddhist education on the history of Buddhism itself and the place of women within Buddhism, the role of monastic in an engaged Buddhist manner.
Objectives of the Project
To prepare bhikkhunis to lead the proper monastic life. To fortify oneself in order to strengthen Buddhism and society.
Purposes of the training:
- To be a good monastic by studying and observing the Vinaya
- To live harmoniously with the sangha by integrating the Dhamma and Vinaya
- To uplift oneself spiritually through the practice of meditation
- To help build up the Buddhist community through socially engaged activities.
- To strengthen the Sangha and Buddhism
1. She is a
bhikkhuni, samaneri or a lay woman who is interested in leading monastic life.
2. Age 18-60
3. She has good physical and mental health (provide medical certificate).
4. Education: minimum high school/equivalent with sufficient English.
5. Recommendation letter from Upajjhaya or a teacher whom she has been living with for minimum one year.
6. Willingness to learn and to improve.
Organizers: Buddhasavika Foundation
Sponsors: Songdhammakalyani Temple
Vassa (Rain Retreat) Aug. - October 2004
Venue: Songdhammakalyani Temple, Nakhonpathom Province, Thailand
Ven.Dr. Chatsumarn Kabilsingh (Dhammananda)
P.O. Box 108, Nakhonpathom 73000, Thailand
Conditions for participants to BWR
1. Attend regularly morning (5.30 A.M.) and evening (7 P.M.) chanting and meditation
2. Go for alms round twice a week
3. Give dhamma talk (acc. to assigned slot of time)
4. Attend Patimokkha recitation twice a month (applicable only for
Sangha's expected role:
1. To live as a sangha member harmoniously, benefiting and nourishing each other.
2. To guide lay people in their practice
3. To be of service to the community
4. To be eager and willing to participate in community work (minimum one hour labor work a day)
5. To consult each other when something need the attention of the community.
6. To be diligent in attending all classes and activities arranged for
1. She who attends BWR will receive training in the Theravada tradition.
2. She will pay her own travelling to and from BWR.
3. Her boarding and lodging through 3 month period will be covered by BWR
4. She will be responsible for extra expenses, e.g. phone card, long distance calls.
5. She is a monastic :
Since she belongs to the family of the Buddha, worldly and family concerns should be kept at its minimum.
Her monastic needs will be promptly attended to by BWR
6. In order to be trained, she will request a teacher for guidance; respect for seniority and spirit of the Sangha is necessary.
Brief course description:
Patimokkha training (for bhikkhunis only)
History of Buddhism
History of women and Buddhism
History of Thai Buddhism
History of Bhikkhuni sangha in different countries
Socially engaged Buddhism
Field trips : emergency home for women; training center for ex-sex workers; home for street children; college for Buddhist nun (mae ji); historical sites, etc.
: As monastics, bhikkhunis also accept invitation to go out for Paritta chanting in the homes of supporters. When invited, bhikkhunis will offer dhamma talks.
V : Skill training to balance mind and body
Clay sculpture; fruit carving; massage, ch' I kong; yoga; making
flowers, making beads decorations, etc.
At the completion of the training course, a certificate will be given to those who have fulfilled the course designed.
Notice : If you are interested to join the program kindly filled in the application form and send to contact person. This year there will be space only for 15 candidates, apply early.