11th Sakyadhita Conference
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
December 28, 2009, to January 3, 2010
Sakyadhita International Association of Buddhist Women is pleased to announce that the 11th Sakyadhita International Conference on Buddhist Women will be held in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, from December 28, 2009, to January 3, 2010. Temple tours are tentatively scheduled for January 4 to 5 (in the vicinity of Ho Chi Minh City) and January 6 to 10 (to Hue and Hanoi).
Conference Theme: “Eminent Buddhist Women”
Proposals are being accepted for panel presentations on Buddhist women and related topics. Proposals should be 250-500 words in length and should include the sender’s institutional affiliation and contact information. The deadline for submitting proposals is April 15, 2009. Notification of acceptances will be sent by May 1. Final papers are due by July 1 for translation into various languages.
The following sub-themes for panels have been suggested:
• Buddhist Women and Leadership
• Eminent Women in Buddhist History
• Buddhist Women Teachers: Lay and Ordained
• Dialogue Across Cultures: Defining “Eminence”
• Socially Engaged Buddhist Women
• Dharma Across Generations and Cultures
• Buddhist Women and Global Poverty
• Teaching Dharma in Prisons
• Buddhist Women of Diverse Lifestyles
• Buddhist Education Across Cultures
Further suggestions are welcome. We also welcome proposals for workshops. Suggested topics include:
• Dharma in Motion, Mindfulness in Action
• Comparing Meditation Traditions
• Organizational Development for Buddhist Women's Groups
• Dharma with Children: East and West
• Skillful Communications
• Counseling Skills: Domestic Violence
• Engaging Buddhist Laywomen
• Conflict Transformation
• Buddhist Practice in Relationships
Proposals for presenting short films and PowerPoint slide shows (10-20 minutes in length) about women in Buddhism are also welcome.
Please send paper proposals to
, with a copy to:
. Those whose proposals are accepted and who submit their final papers by July 1 may be eligible for subsidized accommodations and meals. Laywomen and nuns from developing countries who have never attended a Sakyadhita conference before may request a form to apply for sponsorship by writing to the same address.
International Association of Buddhist Women
923 Mokapu Blvd.
Kailua, HI 96734